Sandbag sites listed below are managed by the water district and are open from late November through April each season. Six sites are stocked with filled bags when available during that period. An additional site is stocked with sand and empty bags for self-filling as noted below.
There are 17 more sandbag stations managed by various cities within Santa Clara County. Some cities may require proof of residency. You can download a map with a comprehensive listing of sandbag distribution sites "Sandbag site map [PDF]."
- Palo Alto: 1925 Embarcadero Road, adjacent to Palo Alto Air Terminal
- Alviso: northeast corner of Gold and Catherine streets. Update: Sand and empty bags will be temporarily available at the Alviso Marina County Park on Hope Street by noon on Thursday, 12/11/2014.
- San Jose: City Mabury (Service) Yard, 1404 Mabury Road, San Jose, CA 95133
- San Jose: City Central Service Yard, 1661 Senter Road at Phelan Ave., San Jose, CA 95122
- San Jose: Santa Clara Valley Water District Winfield Warehouse, Winfield Boulevard between Blossom Hill Road and Coleman Avenue, San Jose, CA 95123
- Morgan Hill: El Toro Fire Station, 18300 Old Monterey Road
During storm events, all of the sites may only be stocked with sand and empty bags. While shovels are provided at these sites, you may want to bring one with you just in case.
Residents are advised that sandbags are most effective when used to prevent flooding from one foot or less of water from entering a home or business through doorways and garage door openings; and are cautioned to take only 20 to 30 bags per vehicle. Please take only what you need. Sandbag sites run by the water district, cities or the county are operated on the honor system as a flood protection service to residents. The bags are not meant for use in construction or gardening activities. If you are using this site as a source for free sand, you may be prosecuted for theft of public property.