What is the testing program?
- The Santa Clara Valley Water District is offering this program to collect water quality samples from Santa Clara County residences served by private domestic wells.
- Information from this program will help us protect groundwater and will help domestic well users better protect their health.
- This sampling includes testing for nitrate, bacteria, hardness, electrical conductivity, fluoride, and sulfate.
- Testing will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis and will be available until funding is depleted.
Is my well eligible for testing?
- Testing is available only for private domestic wells located within district groundwater charge zone W2 or W5.
- Well water must be used for drinking and/or cooking. Wells used only for irrigation are not eligible.
- Testing is available only for domestic wells serving fewer than five residences.
- In the case of shared wells, one sample will be collected at the property where the well is located. Results will be shared with other well users upon their request.
How does the testing program work?
- Contact us using Access Valley Water or call the Groundwater Hotline at (408) 630-2300 to find out if you are eligible for this program.
- If you are eligible for testing, we will work with you to schedule an appointment.
- Participants must sign a right of entry agreement.
What happens during the testing appointment?
During your appointment, we will collect a sample of your drinking water from your well, kitchen sink faucet, or an outside hose bib.
If you have a filter, treatment system, or water softener connected to your kitchen sink faucet, we will collect the sample from the well or an outside hose bib.
We will also be confirming the location of your well. This helps us to associate the water quality results with the groundwater source.
We are happy to provide information and tips on well maintenance and water quality, but we will not be assessing the condition of your well or any treatment system.
The sample collection should take less than 30 minutes.
What do I need to do before the appointment?
- Please read and sign the Participant Agreement Release Form prior to our arrival. This form will be mailed to you once you make an appointment and is also available for download here [PDF]. We cannot enter your property or collect a sample without a signed form.
- If you would like the sample to be collected from your kitchen sink, please make sure the sink is clean and free of clogs since we will need to run the water for approximately five minutes at full flow.
- If you have a filter, treatment system, or water softener, we will be collecting the sample outside your home. Please make sure an outdoor hose bib is accessible and that the hose is removed.
When will I get my results?
You will get a copy of the laboratory results within three weeks of your sample appointment. We will also provide information on additional actions you may want to take.
We hope you will also take the time to fill out the survey that will be included with your results. This will help determine if this program will be offered again in the future, and if so, how it can be improved.
For questions on this program, please use Access Valley Water or call us on the Groundwater Hotline at (408) 630-2300.
Para obtener información en español acerca de pruebas gratuitas del agua de su pozo llame a Henry Barrientos al (408) 630-2078.