Classified Benefits Summary
The Santa Clara Valley Water District offers its employees a comprehensive benefits program that provides choices and flexibility. The district offers medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and their eligible dependents including domestic partners. The district has been offering equal benefits to employees’ eligible domestic partners since 2001.
Eighty (80) hours in a 2-week pay period: Some 5 consecutive 8-hour days for 2 weeks; some 4 consecutive 9-hour days and 1 day off 1 week, and 4 consecutive 9-hour days and 1 8-hour day the other week.
Classified employees accrue 10 days first year, 12 days second year, 16 days fifth year, 18 days 10th year, 21 days 15th year, and 22 days 20th year.
Accrue 12 days per year with unlimited accumulation. Upon retirement, up to 480 hours of accrued sick leave shall be paid to the employee at the rate of 50% of the equivalent cash value. Upon resignation with ten or more year service, up to 480 hours of accrued sick leave shall be paid off at the rate of 25% of the cash value.
An additional 24 hours of personal leave is provided each fiscal year (pro-rated if hired after the fiscal year starts).
Employees represented by the Professional Managers Association receive 32 hours of prorated management leave each fiscal year.
Twelve designated holidays.
The district offers three medical plans: Blue Shield PPO, Blue Shield HMO and Kaiser HMO. Employees pay 15% of the monthly medical premium while the district pays the remaining 85% of the medical premium.
Vision Service Plan (VSP) is the vision coverage for individuals who chose either of the Blue Shield Plans. The district pays the total premium cost for all employees and eligible dependents for VSP. The vision coverage for Kaiser members is part of the Kaiser medical plan.
Delta Dental is the dental care plan offered by the district. The district pays the total premium cost for all employees and eligible dependents.
Employee Assistance Program
Concern is the employee assistance program offered by the district. The district pays the total premium cost for all employees and eligible dependents.
Life Insurance/Disability Insurance
Basic life insurance for all full time and part time employees (employee must work 20 hours or more per week) is provided by the district. Short and long-term disability income protection insurance for all employees provided by the district. Additional basic life, short and long term disability income protection and accidental death and dismemberment insurance available at group rates paid by the employee.
Public Employees Retirement System
The district participates in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). For employees hired prior to March 19, 2012, the benefit is provided at 2.5% @ 55 Formula Benefit Level. The employee pays 8% employee contribution and 3% towards the district’s employer contribution. These are pre-tax deductions.
For employees hired March 19, 2012 or later, the benefit is provided at 2% @ 60 Formula Benefit Level. The employee pays 7% of the employee contribution and 3% towards the district’s employer contribution. These are pre-tax deductions.
For employees hired January 1, 2013 or later who are new members in PERS, the benefit is provided at 2% @ 62 Formula Benefit Level. Pre-tax payroll deductions will be required.
The district does not contribute to Social Security. Medicare contributions are mandatory
Deferred Compensation Plan
Deferred Compensation Plan (Internal Revenue code 457) allowing sheltering of current income for payment later as a retirement supplement is available. District matching funds at negotiated amount by bargaining unit.
An applicant is required to pass a job related medical examination prior to appointment. These exams are administered by the district-selected physicians at no cost to the applicant.
Other Benefits offered by the Santa Clara Valley Water District
- Personal Accidental Death and Dismemberment group insurance is available to employees with no cost to the district
- Health Care Reimbursement as provided by the Internal Revenue Code Section 125
- Dependent Care Reimbursement as provided by the Internal Revenue Code Section 129
- Professional Reimbursement for items related to the employee’s area of responsibility
- Tuition Assistance program allows individuals to further facilitates their career development
- Credit Unions – the district offers information on two facilities
For more information, please call the Santa Clara Valley Water District Benefits Administration Hotline at (408) 265-2607, ext. 3030.